If my landlord has entered illegally and I don’t want to live here any more, what can I do?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my landlord has entered illegally and I don’t want to live here any more, what can I do?

She gives us these bogus notices that she needs to come in and make repairs so we have to change our schedules every week, she comes in snoops around, takes pictures of my stuff, never makes repairs, then I caught her in my place with no notice. My stress level is through the roof I can’t stand the sight of this woman I have to move; I have never lived in a more hostile environment.

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to report her to the agency who handles landlord tenant consumer complaints and explain that she has breached the agreement by failing to make repairs and more importantly, by failing to provide proper statutory notice. You may indicate to her in writing in the interim that her actions have caused a material breach of your lease and that she is not allowed to enter the apartment without your permission and you will not give permission because she has violated state law with improper notice and she has violated your privacy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption