What to do if my landlord forced us to move from one apartment to another cause they needed the handicap apartment?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my landlord forced us to move from one apartment to another cause they needed the handicap apartment?

I know that with the forced move that the landlord is responsible for any deposits such as utilities. I went back and forth with the landlord about paying the deposits so I could get the utilities transferred in my name to the new appartment. However, nothing was ever done about the deposits; I tried for months. Now we have a new landlord that gave us a letter stating that they have been paying the utilities on the apartment and if I don’t show prof that I’m paying the bill that our lease can be terminated and we are responsible for the utilities that they have paid. What are my rights in this matter?

Asked on January 2, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The best way to handle the matter that you are writing about is to have a face to face meeting with the former and current landlords to resolve the issue as to rental deposits. If that does not resolve things then small claims court seems the option with the former landlord to get your deposits back. From what you have written, you may be responsible for utilities for the new unit but subject to reimbursement from the former landlord for the deposits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption