If my landlord entered my property without permission on 3 occasions and has not fixed a hole in the kitchen floor, can I get a constructive eviction?

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my landlord entered my property without permission on 3 occasions and has not fixed a hole in the kitchen floor, can I get a constructive eviction?

My landlord lives on the same property, gas and water are shared. He drops off the bills the day they are due, then harasses me daily for the amount. He entered the property when I was out of town, asking the house sitter if he could inspect the condition, then just entering before she answered. He uses intimidation and harassment to get his tenants to do what he wants. Also, I moved to this property because it was large and quiet. I had to endure a month and a half of heavy machinery from sun up to sun down some days.

Asked on March 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In CA, a landlord is required to give 24 hours written notice before entering your rental.  Entry has to occur during normal business hours.  No notice is required if it is an emergency.  You can sue the landlord for breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment for violating the notice requirement.  The covenant of quiet enjoyment is in every lease and means that the tenant cannot be disturbed in his/her use and enjoyment of the premises. This legal argument is also applicable to the landlord's intimidation and harassment of the tenants which you mentioned. 

As for the hole in the kitchen floor, if the landlord does not repair it within a reasonable time, you can have it repaired and deduct the cost from the rent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption