Can I be served withboth a notice to vacate and a notice of intent to lockout the day after my landlord tooka partial payment?

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be served withboth a notice to vacate and a notice of intent to lockout the day after my landlord tooka partial payment?

I was recently put on temporary layoff at may job and I didn’t qualify for unemployment until next month. I spoke with my landlord about my situation telling her that I will be able to pay $600 on the 3rd and I would try to have the rest by the following Friday. She agreed and per our agreement I paid $600 on the 3rd. The next day I leave out my apt to find a “Notice to Vacate for Non-Payment” and “Notice of Intent to Lockout” taped to my front door. No one knocked, they just taped it to the door. Is it legal for her to evict me after taking a partial payment? What can I do?

Asked on June 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As a general matter, a landlord is not obligated to accept partial payment; he or she can insist on payment of rent in full when due, and begin the eviction process if it's not all paid on time. (Note: you can only be evicted by the court, through the legal process; unless the landlord actually went to court, he or she can't lock you out.)

However, if the landlord agreed to a payment plan, he or she must honor that agreement, like honoring any contact. The problem may be proving the existence and terms of the agreement, if it was all oral or verbal. In the future, get agreements in writing; in the current case, if the landlord takes you to court, you can testify to and try to prove the agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption