What to do if my insurance company is refusing to pay for some of the items stolen out of my garage?

UPDATED: Feb 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 5, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my insurance company is refusing to pay for some of the items stolen out of my garage?

They say it’s because they don’t cover automobiles but there was no automobile.I was building a race engine that would be put in a car later but there is no car for the engine right now; it was just an engine stored in the garage and being built as a personal project. The engine had cost more than $15000 to build but they are saying they won’t cover it. Is there anything that I can do?

Asked on February 5, 2013 under Insurance Law, Oklahoma


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can file a consumer complaint with your state's insurance department and also review your insurance policy to see what the exclusionary language actually states and if it defines a car as a part of one, or the whole thing or parts thereof. Make sure you review the language; the language is your key to coverage. Give this information over to the agency who will investigate it and worse case scenario, you may need to sue your own insurance company for bad faith coverage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption