What can I do if my insurance company claims that I was responsible for an accident but I wasn’t?

UPDATED: Apr 1, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 1, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my insurance company claims that I was responsible for an accident but I wasn’t?

They claim that the police report would say that I was at fault for the accident but they didn’t even look at the report. After I called the police, they said no one was given fault for the accident, the only thing on there was the a witness claims I ran a light red. The witness was completely incoherent and couldn’t even make eye contact with me and I shared that with my insurance company. I also gave them the name and contact info for the traffic light engineer who explained to me that what the other driver is saying wouldn’t be physically possible with the way the lights were programmed yet they never called him or took that into consideration.

Asked on April 1, 2015 under Accident Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that the insurer is failing to honor its obligation to pay compensation to you when, under the terms of your insurance policy, they should, then your recourse is to sue them for breach of contract (violating their policy obligations). In the lawsuit, you would need to show that given the circumstances of the accident--the facts you describe in your question--they were supposed to pay under the terms of our insurance policy. If you can do that, a court would force them to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption