What to do if my husband’s son lives with my husband’s mother and we are now trying to figure out how to get custody of him?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband’s son lives with my husband’s mother and we are now trying to figure out how to get custody of him?

He is 13 and has lived with his grandmother for 11 years. My husband’s parental rights were never taken. The grandmother has him because he was taken from his bio-mother because she was unfit and at the time my husband wasnt financially stable to have him. What is the chance of him getting custody of him?

Asked on December 28, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you and your spouse consult with a family law attorney about the quest you have. Given the fact that your son has resided with his grandmother for the past eleven (11) years presumably through a custody order and he is now a teenager, unless he wishes to reside with you, the chances of gaining physical custody over him seems remote based upon what you have written.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption