My husbands parents have power of attorney on him how can he revoke it

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My husbands parents have power of attorney on him how can he revoke it

we got married in july and my husbands parents have poa, so they control his money, bills and job. They will not let him do things on his own such as pay bills and receive his own paycheck they give him an allowance each week. As a spouse is there power now void since we are married? Or do we need to revoke this?

Asked on September 18, 2017 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No the POA does not become void upon marriage.  He has to overtly revoke it. There is a revocation form that he can sign in front of a notary and then he can send his parents a copy letting them know he has revoked the POA.  He should also file it with his employer and any financial institution he has or you jointly have.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption