What to do if my husband’s employer doesn’t not pay for the drive time back to the shop?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband’s employer doesn’t not pay for the drive time back to the shop?

My husbands employer doesn’t not pay for the drive time back to the shop. Wherever he is when hefinishes his last job is where he clocks out. He works for a small pool company so the location is always different. The drive back can be any where between 15 minutes and 45 minutes a day. Shouldn’t he be getting paid for this time? Also, he has been with the company for 4+ years, is he entitled to back pay as well?

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If he is required to drive back to the shop after his last job, then he must be paid for that time if he is an hourly employee; if he could go straight home from there, but chooses to go back to the shop, then they would not have to pay him.

If the shop does have to pay him, they potentially may be liable for a significant amount of back-pay for all the times they failed to pay, assuming he could prove the time. Your husband should speak with an employment law attorney to explore his options and recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption