If my husband works offshore, how will custody work with our 4 year old daughter?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband works offshore, how will custody work with our 4 year old daughter?

My husband works offshore (28 days on and 28 days off). Our 4 year old daughter has never spent a night away from me, and I’ve always been her primary caretaker in our relationship. I am considering divorce, but I am worried about the custody arrangements. He is a good dad, but being the primary caretaker, I do not want to go 28 days without seeing my child. Would he get to have her on weekends, or would he have her for the entire 28 days home?

Asked on February 18, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In 2005 Texas instituted what is known as the use of a Parenting Plan and a parenting coordinators in the actions for divorce and custody.  In Texas, there is a rebutable presumption that parents should serve as the Joint Managing Conservators of their children. Joint Managing Conservatorship does mean that the parents will either share, allocate, or apportion parental rights and duties. These are the same parental rights and duties that the parents have prior to a divorce being filed; they just may be allocated differently in the divorce. But there are new requirements, as in most cases, the child's domicile must be established in the final Court orders. The Court must make a finding of no family violence to either approve an agreement or appoint the parents a joint managing conservators. Courts always prefer that the parties work out their custody and visitation agreements and will give priority to these agreement as long as the are in the best interest of the child.  Yours is a unique situation but it does not mean that you will not see your daughter for 28 straight days.  It does mean, however, that your life will not change and that maybe your daughter will spend some nights without you if she can handle same.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption