My husband works for the city of San Antonio Fire Department. How do we value and divide his pension?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My husband works for the city of San Antonio Fire Department. How do we value and divide his pension?

He has been in the department for 18 years.
He will likely retire in 12 years, at which point
he receives a generous pension. I have heard
of some men not retiring in order to avoid
dividing pension from a divorce. Is it possible to
request a payout up front? We live in Texas.

Asked on January 7, 2018 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There is not a set formula for dividing the pension.  Everything depends on the value of the community estate at the time of the divorce.  If his pension is valued at $10k and the court awards you another asset worth $10k (just for the sake of easy math), then the court might not award you any interest in the pension.  If the pension is the only asset, then they court will most likely award each spouse a fifty percent interest in the portion which accrued during the marriage.
If you and your husband are already divorced and he was awarded his pension, then you cannot later seek a portion of the pension.  If you are already divorced and the pension was divided, then it will be distributed in accordance with the divorce decree.
With regard to the request for payout....that will depend on the adminstrator.  If this was a 401k, then most likely, you could request a payout up front.  However, with it being a pension, most adminstrators will not permit early distributions until the employee retires.  In this case, you would have to wait until he retires to receive a benefit.  To know which set of rules apply to your husband's pension, you will need to call and talk to the administrator.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption