If my husband was fired wrongfully, can we take this to court?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband was fired wrongfully, can we take this to court?

His car broke down and so he called his boss to inform him that he could not makr it because we didn’t have a car. The next day he was told that he quit without notice which isn’t the case. He called 3 different people and spoke to all of them about the situation.

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unless you husband is a member of a protected class and he was treated differently than someone else in the same type of situation, then no, he doesn't have a wrongful termination suit.  This is because Texas is an at-will employment state which means that an employer can discontinue an employment relationship at any time for any reason... as long as that reason is not based on some type of discrimination (i.e. race, gender) or retaliation (i.e. for filing a worker's comp claim).  If the termination was based on an illegal purpose, and your husband can prove it, then he could file a lawsuit for wrongful termination.  Even if your husband does not have a wrongful termination lawsuit, he can still file for unemployment.  I know this is not much of a comfort, but the denial of benefits can be devastating to some families.  If an employer lies about the reason for their termination, then this factor usually works in an employee's favor at any hearings related to TWC benefits (if his employer decides to contest it).  He needs to make sure that he makes notes regarding who he talked to and reported his absence to so that he can reference them as witnesses should there be contested hearing.  These are often done telephonically, but witnesses can still be called. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption