If my husband was deeded a cabin in his name only, would it automatically become my property if he were to die?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband was deeded a cabin in his name only, would it automatically become my property if he were to die?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If it is in his name only, then the property would become part of his probate estate upon his death. Then depending on the terms of your husband's Will (if he had one) you would in all likelihood be named as his beneficiary; if you were not named in his Will, then by virtue of something known as the "elective share", you could still lay claim to a part of the estate.

If your husband did not have a Will, then his estate would be distributed according to the "intestacy"  laws of the state in which he was domiciled as of his death. This is typically 1/3 - 1/2 of the assets to the surviving spouse with the remainder to be split among the deceased's children, if any. Otherwise the entire estate goes to the spouse.

In order to take over the property automatically, you could have him put your name on the deed as his wife "with right of survivorship"; this form of ownership is known as a "tenancy by the entirety". This would insure ownership rights (100%) without the time and expense of putting the property through probate.

There are other ways for you to takeover the property upon his death. At this point you should speak directly with an estate planning attorney as to your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption