What to do if my husband was a passenger in a vehicle that was hit from behind on the highway?

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband was a passenger in a vehicle that was hit from behind on the highway?

His bike as well as another passengers bike was hit so hard it flew off and crushed the bike rack and dented the vehicle a little. Both bikes are worth about $5000 each and are totaled. The vehicle in front of them was also hit. The person who hit them only has $10,000 in personal property coverage and with both bikes, the damage to the car and the damage to the person if fronts car, it exceeds the $10,000. So, do we go through our driver’s insurance to collect the rest or do we have to try and get it out of the at fault driver with liens and what not? It makes me nervous to drive with anyone if, as a passenger, your stuff is not covered.

Asked on September 11, 2013 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

1) As to your driver's insurance, review your policy and see if this is covered and, if so, to what extent: an insurance policy is a contract, and the insurer has to pay anything which would be covered under the terms of the policy--and nothing that is not covered.

2) Does the at-fault driver have real estate which you could lien? Does he have a steady job with an employer (i.e. is not a freelancer, not self-employed, and not on public assistance)? If the answer to either or both questions is "yes," it may be worth suing him, because there would be assets and income to collect against. If the answer to both questions is "no," it's probaby not worth suing, because you could win the case and still not recover anything. (It is very hard to recover from the self-employed, since they can hide income in various ways.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption