my husband wants to serve me with divorce papers

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

my husband wants to serve me with divorce papers

my spouse is planning on serving me with divorce papers on this week . how long do I have to respond? He has a lawyer and says that he is willing to not sign anything until we are sure but I don’t want to get screwed ,but still want to work on my marriage.

Asked on March 19, 2018 under Family Law, Idaho


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

So I think he just wants to have you served.  That is my gut feeling.  Drawing up the papers and executing on them are two different things.  He could ask his lawyer to hold off filing in court and service.  So I think it best for you to be prepared.  Once you are served you have 20 days to answer.  So PLEASE make sure you do that.  Otherwise you will be in default.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption