Can I do anything if my husband set up a web camera in our house that I don’t want?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I do anything if my husband set up a web camera in our house that I don’t want?

My husband just purchased a web camera online and set it up in the kitchen window claiming to keep watch of the backyard, however it also records all sounds and movement in the house. I work from

home every day and I feel as though my privacy is being violated. I told him that I am not comfortable with the camera and being recorded even if it’s just voice and his exact response was,

Asked on February 1, 2018 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

He cannot *audio* record you (or anyone) in your state without their consent, even in his own home. If you refuse to consent, you could file a police complaint against him and look to press charges for an unlawful audio recording.
However, he does have the right to set up a video-only camera in the house or on the property, so long as it is no set up to view any location (e.g. bedrooms, bathrooms) where people ordinarily and reasonably are undressed or engaged in hygiene, toilet, or intimate activities. This means he can set up a camera to overlook the backyard. Anyone legally occupaying a place may set up a video camera, subject to the above limitations.
He can also record movement in the home, so long as it is not recording conversations, just as it would be legal to have an alarm system with motion detectors.
Since there is at least one fundamental disagreement between the two of you, and he may be doing this because he does not trust you, you may wish to consider consulting with a family or matrimonial law attorney to understand your options and rights if this is a symptom of greater marital problems.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption