If my husband is 1 of 2 executors of his mom’s Trust, does he have the legal right to see how her funds are being used by the other executor?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband is 1 of 2 executors of his mom’s Trust, does he have the legal right to see how her funds are being used by the other executor?

His brother is the other executor and is living with the mom. We feel that he is misusing her funds. Can he hold his brother accountable for violating their mom’s best interests?

Asked on September 1, 2014 under Estate Planning, Idaho


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Both your husband and his brother as co-trustees of their mother's trust are fiduciaries which means they owe a duty to act in good faith.

If the brother is misusing funds, he has committed a breach of his duty as a trustee.  If your husband becomes aware of his brother's misuse of funds and does nothing, your husband is liable for his failure to act and the loss of funds to the trust.

Your husband can demand an accounting.  If the trust provisions provide for removal of a trustee, those procedures should be followed for removal of the brother as trustee if he has misappropriated funds.

If the trust is silent as to the procedure for removal of the trustee,  a petition for removal of the brother as trustee can be filed with the court.  The petition filed with the court should seek the removal of the brother as trustee and also the remedy of a constructive trust.  A constructive trust means that the brother will be required to return misappropriated funds to the trust.  A constructive trust remedy includes tracing the misappropriated funds to any purchases the brother has made in order for the trust to be able to recover those items or their value.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption