If my husband is in one state and I have been in another for a month due to DV, can I file for divorce here but have him served there?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband is in one state and I have been in another for a month due to DV, can I file for divorce here but have him served there?

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The short answer is: probably not.

In CA you need to have lived in the state for 6 months for the court to have jurisdiction (authority) over a divorce case.  Your new state won't have jursidiction over your divorce for a while yet, but states differ.  The majority of states have a six month requirement. 

Even if you divorce in another state, that state won't necessarily have jurisdiction over real property located in California. 

I would recommend that you read about California Secretary of State's "Safe At Home" program.  It would enable you to use their address for filing legal papers, if you choose not to use an attorney.  You can read more about the program here: http://www.sos.ca.gov/safeathome/

You should file for divorce in CA to simplify things.  I would recommend filing for a domestic violence protective order as well (in CA) to protect yourself.

If you used to live in the Ventura County area, I would love to help you out.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption