If my husband is a US citizen and I’m from Chile, how can I get divorce if I’m here and he is there?

UPDATED: May 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband is a US citizen and I’m from Chile, how can I get divorce if I’m here and he is there?

We got married last year in the US; I’m now living back in Chile. I didn’t get my green card; we didn’t even do all the paperwork for it. I just want the divorce and to forget about the marriage; I’m not in love anymore and I want be in my country without him. What can I do?

Asked on May 4, 2012 under Family Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have re-established your residency in Chile then in all likelihood you can file for your marital dissolution in Chile even though you were married in the United States and resided in this country.

Most countries allow for reciprocity of marital dissolutions when a resident of one country or another desires to divorce his or her spouse and there is established residency for the filing of such a proceeding. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney in Chile regarding the protocol for the filing of a marital dissolution there under the facts that you have presented.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption