If my husband is 12% owner of a sub-chapter S corp and his business “partner” bought a 2nd business which is a competitor, does my husband have any recourse?

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband is 12% owner of a sub-chapter S corp and his business “partner” bought a 2nd business which is a competitor, does my husband have any recourse?

His partner is neglecting their shared business.

Asked on December 12, 2015 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your husband might have recourse: a majority owner of a privately or closely held company has a "fiduciary duty" to not deliberately or carelessly damage or devalue his/her minority partner's investment. However, the majority partner is allowed to engage in his/her own business ventures if they are reasonable ones, even if they turn out, in retrospect, to damage the minority's partner's interests--that is, it's (so to speak) the intent of the majority partner's actions more than the specific acts themselves which determine if the fiduciary duty is violated. Also, if there is no harm, there is no violation. So to go over a few scenarios as examples:
1) The competiting business already existed and the majority partner simply runs it completely independently of the businss your husband is involved in--nothing changed  but the ownership of the competitor, so the other partner did nothing wrong; he/she did not act to increase the harm (if any) the other business suffers from competition. No breach of fiduciary duty.
2) The other partner bought the business with an eye towards consolidating it with the first business in some way, which will yield a single business with greater market share and lower costs--even if that doesn't work out, it's a reasonable plan for a business owner (look at how many Fortune 500 companies do this) and so no breach.
3) Similar to the above, the other partner intends to not formally combine the businesses, but to run them in way (sharing back-office resources and investments, plus expertise, for example) that leverages investments to help both. This may or may not work, and one business may benefit more than another, but again, it's a reasonable plan that many companies follow. No breach.
But contrast that with:
4) The other owner buys the new business and shift his time, attention, and resources from the business which he "only" owns 88% of to the one he now owns 100% of. The sharing is one way only--he takes, for example, customer lists or vendor contacts from business 1 for the benefit of 2 and not vice versa, and starves 1 of attention and money while he's growing 2. That would very likely be a breach of fiduciary duty, since he is hurting his minority partner's interest to benefit his own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption