If my husband has been diagnosed with cancer and the doctor believe that it is from his previous job, can we sue the company?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband has been diagnosed with cancer and the doctor believe that it is from his previous job, can we sue the company?

He inhaled a lot of smoke and chemicals he worked under a different name.

Asked on September 7, 2015 under Personal Injury, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to sue the company. First, you'd need to be starting or initiating the suit within the "statute of limitations," or time period to sue. The statue of limitations, or SOL, is normally 2 years for personal injury or illness in your state that means suing within 2 years of the last exposure to the hazardous chemicals or conditions. This time period can be tolled, or extended, if you were not and reasonably would not have been aware of the harm or injury, so if your husband only discovered the cancer within the last 2 years, he may still be able to sue.
Second, you have to have good evidence of causality so medical experts and medical literature e.g. published studies or reports showing a link between the specific chemicals to which your husband was exposed and his type of cancer. You can't just allege that there was "smoke and chemicals," but have to show what those chemicals were and their link the cancer.
Third, you'd also have to show that the employer did not take reasonable safety precautions, at least in light of what was known at that time if they did take all then-reasonable precautions, they may not be liable.
Finally, bear in mind that if the employer went out of business or was sold to a different person or entity since your husband worked there, it's possible that there is no one to hold liable. It depends on the specific facts of their going out of business or the sale, but this is risk if there was been any change in ownership or operatonal status.
It would certainly be worth your while to discuss the matter in detail with a personal injury attorney. Many provide a free initial consultation to evaluate cases, and you can ask about this before making the appointment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption