What to do if my husband has an 18 month old son from a previous relationship?

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband has an 18 month old son from a previous relationship?

Nothing has been taken to court yet (visitation or child support). He carries his son on our health insurance and was initially paying her $12 per /week to help with expenses. At the time she was allowing some visitation. However she has stopped all visitation within the past 8 months. In an attempt to “force” her to allow visitation he has reduced the amount per week to $60 and advising her that he will pay more if she will continue visitation. If we take this to court will my husband be required to pay back support? He has bank records showing every payment.

Asked on January 18, 2013 under Family Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Based upon your husband's desires to see his son, he should consult with a family law attorney to draft up a proposed agreement with the biological mother as to support, visitation, and custody stating no back support is owed. If she refuses to sign the agreement it seems that he will need to file a petition with the court seeking what he desires per your question.

Based upon what you have written about, he should not have to pay any back child support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption