If my husband has a garnishment and it is checked for180 days, does it stop or does it continue until paid off?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband has a garnishment and it is checked for180 days, does it stop or does it continue until paid off?

We have been paying since 02/10.

Asked on January 7, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

What is the garnishment for?  Credit card debt?  Why is it checked for 180 days?  Maybe a clerical error?  Generally speaking a garnishment remains in effect until the debt is paid off.  I would however, take the paperwork to someone to review for you just in case.  If the garnishment was the result of an order of default - meaning that you did not answer the summons and complaint -then I would have someone inquire as to the matter.  And I would see if checking the box is an error that could nullify the paperwork (although I doubt it).  And I would double check the amounts to be safe.  You have been paying for a long time.   Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption