If my husband had a writ of execution served on him and they attached it to our joint account, is that legal?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband had a writ of execution served on him and they attached it to our joint account, is that legal?

Asked on August 18, 2011 North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The levy upon the joint account held by you and your husband regarding the writ of execution and the apparent judgment against your husband was proper because he is one of the owners of the acoount. The issue is whether or not the judgment creditor can keep the entirety of the account under North Carolina law or not since you are married to him.

In some states, the community estate is responsible for one half of an obligation of one spouse. If you want to keep your half from being taken by the judgment creditor, you need to file and serve a claim of exemption in the court where the judgment arose as soon as possible. There are time limitations to do this. If you do not, you very well could lose your half of the joint account.

When you file such a claim, the court clerk will set a hearing date for the judge to make a decision regarding it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption