Was it legal if my husband got fired for domestic violence?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Was it legal if my husband got fired for domestic violence?

My husband got fired for domestic violence because I came to his work with marks on my face. It was just a petty cat fight and it wasn’t really a big deal for us. I am anemic so a little bump would bruise me. His employer talked to me and kept on insisting that I report my husband for DM but I didn’t do it. Instead they fired him.

Asked on July 13, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that most employment is "at will". This means that a worker can be fired for any reason or no reason at all. That is unless doing so would violate the terms of a union agreemnt or employment contract (which you did not indicate). Therefore, your husband's termination was legal. As an aside, his former employer just had your best interests at heart. Perhaps you should think hard on that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption