Can I get into trouble if I used my husband’s credit card with his permission?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get into trouble if I used my husband’s credit card with his permission?

My husband gave me his credit card and told me to go buy a TV, which I did. Now that we are getting a divorce he is saying that I stole it. He says I’m going to prison for forgery. Is this true? Am I in trouble?

Asked on June 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Ok so obviously this is not an amicable divorce and I am so sorry for you.  Were you an authorized user on the account?  Did you have a card yourself?  Do NOT let him scare you.  It is your word against his.  And you bought something for the two of you (arguably) and for your home.  It is not like you had a spa day - and even if you did and he gave it to you as a gift you can argue that issue - or that you gave the TV to someone else, which would be a form of dissipation of marital assets.  Get a good lawyer dear and stand up tall.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption