My husband financed my car in his name because of my credit. I paid the money down and make the car and insurance payments.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My husband financed my car in his name because of my credit. I paid the money down and make the car and insurance payments.

Will I still be able to keep my car after the divorce even if I cant put it in my name?

Asked on August 7, 2018 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

So you and your husband can agree to divide your assets in any way that you choose in a marital settlement agreement.  You can agree that the car will be yours and you will continue to make the payments, etc.  What happens, though, is that spouses don't like when ex-spouses have some control over their credit in these types of situations.  And you would need to look at the financing agreement but I can pretty much be sure that he can not transfer it to you under the terms and "selling" it to you would require he pay the car off.  Could you bargain an asset for the funds to have him pay it off and then transfer title to you free and clear (once he receives a satisfaction of the loan)?  Say if there are funds in a savings account?  Speak with an attorney on your options.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption