What can my husband do if he finally quit his job of 6 months because he wasn’t being paid his total wages on time?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can my husband do if he finally quit his job of 6 months because he wasn’t being paid his total wages on time?

My husband was employed as a mechanic for a shop that had only been in business for 5 months. All the promises his boss made to him never happened, but he told my husband to be patient. Meanwhile, my husband being the only employee worked hard and even past business hours with no additional compensation, in fact the boss paid him cash most times and on payday would demand he work over if he intended to get paid. My husband has never received a statement of deductions, and his boss was short changing him for weeks, he never knew when or how much he was going to get. Roughly $4000 he is out.

Asked on July 13, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

He needs to contact the local labor commissioner.  The labor commissioner will put A LOT of pressure on the employer because he could face some serious fines.  Your husband may also want to file a breach of contract claim against the former employer in the amount of unpaid wages with the small claims court.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption