If my husband filed for divorce in Germany, can I file for divorce in theUS as well?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband filed for divorce in Germany, can I file for divorce in theUS as well?

I am a German citizen with a L-2 visa. My husband is also German; he has a L-1 Visa. We have 2 children (6 and 9). He filed for divorce in Germany this week. We have a pending green card process. We came here with his company’s assignment 4 years ago. We were married for 10 years and are separated for 2 years now. I want the alimony and child support to be calculated under our state’s law (where we have a home).

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you and your husband are residents of a particular state in the United States and wish to file for a marital dissolution, it is best that and legally proper to file for this proceeding in the county and state in the United States since this is where you are residing with him and your children.

As such, there is nothing prohibiting you from filing for a marital dissolution in the United States.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption