If my estranged husband died 5 months ago, how would I go about recovering the property that his parents removed from his residence?

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my estranged husband died 5 months ago, how would I go about recovering the property that his parents removed from his residence?

I want it returned to my husband’s estate. We were not living together at the time but we were still married. When his body was discovered the police contacted my husband’s parents to notify them of his death. They admittedly indicated that they had not seen their son in at least 2 years and did not know if he was still married. The police did not pursue the avenue that their son (my husband) might still be married and the parents were allowed to enter my husband’s residence and remove any and all property. I am in the process of filing to become the Personal Representative of my husband’s estate.

Asked on March 17, 2015 under Estate Planning, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Once you are appointed as the Personal Representative of the estate you will have the Power to marshall (gather) all of your husband's assets and belongings, even those taken by his parents.  The wrongful taking could be seen as dissipating estate assets.  Perhaps hiring an attorney to heklp with all of this is a good idea.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption