My husband deals drugs, what are my options?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My husband deals drugs, what are my options?

My husband is selling drugs out of my
house mortgage and deed are in my name
only. I have asked him to stop multiple
times and he has refused. I fear doing
anything more then asking him to stop,
as he can be a vengeful man and has
threatened to damage my home before
tear up flooring, remove windows. Our
marriage has not been stable for months,
but I fear if he gets caught, I will be
liable as well, since it is my home.
What are my viable options in dealing
with him? In Pennsylvania state.

Asked on November 19, 2018 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There are two separate issues here:
1) Criminal liabilty: you are not criminally liable (i.e. won't go to jail) just because your husband deals out of your home, but if there is ANY evidence that you helped in the slightest way--took messages for him, from people who sell to or buy from him; helped "clean up" evidence of his criminal acts; etc.--you could then be charged as an accomplice.
2) Loss of your house: federal law and many states' laws allow a home used to commit crimes--so, a home from which drugs are sold--to be confiscated or taken by the government. This can happen even if the homeowner is not actively participating in the crime, so long as the person doing it is someone she in some way or another permits or authorizes to use or occupy the home--like a spouse. So you could theoretically lose your home over this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption