My husband committed bigamy. Are we still married?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My husband committed bigamy. Are we still married?

I live in Texas. I got married about 3 years
ago. After I got married I fou d out that my
husband was already married and never
divorced from his 1st wife. We separated for
7 months. During the separation he finalized
his divorce with the 1st wife. We are now
working things out. Are we still married? Do
we need to get remarried? We never divorced.
Just seperated while he took care of the
divorce to the 1st wife.

Asked on September 2, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You are not still married because in the eyes of the law you were never married. This is true even though you had a marriage ceremony since at the time your huband was legaly married to someone else. Now that he is divorced you can get married, legally this time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption