Does being relocated pursuant to military orders constitute a “force majeure” regarding the cancellation of a contract?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does being relocated pursuant to military orders constitute a “force majeure” regarding the cancellation of a contract?

My husband and I were going to renew our vows in NM so we set a date and paid for a venue.He is active duty military so we got unexpected orders to relocate to another state, 12 hours away. We cancelled and the venue only wants to give us back 25 percent of what we paid. There is a force majeure clause in their agreement. Are we entitled to get all of our money back?

Asked on August 17, 2015 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, "force majeure" refers to criminal or military action e.g. a riot an insurgency, or some other act by a superior third party force unrelated to the parties to the contract and which act is reasonably unforeseeable by them, which interferes with performance of the contract. It would not refer to a relocation order by your husband's employer, the military, since that is a foreseeble and known risk of his job/career, and so does not meet the unpredictibilty or unforeeability requirement to be force majeure. Being active duty military and knowing this could happen, your husband would have been expected to have bargained for some protection upfront--e.g. to have negotiated a clause in the contract requiring him to be refunded perhaps less some penalty or administrative fee if he were redeployed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption