My husband and I live with my parents and do not pay rent, can I legally kick him out?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My husband and I live with my parents and do not pay rent, can I legally kick him out?

My husband and I have been living with my parents in Pennsylvania for years and
do not pay rent. In fact, my parents often help us pay bills each month since
neither one of us is working. Unfortunately our marriage is no longer tenable as
we can’t even speak to each other civilly any more. My question is, can I kick
him out without notice since we’re not actually tenants? Are there legal steps I
should follow prior to telling him he has to leave?

Also, I’m worried he’ll try to take our dog and wonder how I can avoid a ‘custody
dispute’ over a pet. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Asked on February 26, 2016 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If it is your parent's home, you can't kick him out...but your parents could: they may do so since a non-rent-payer is not a tenant, but a guest, and the homeowners (or lawful tenants, if your parents rent their home) may ask a guest to leave at any time, for any reason. They may tell him to leave; if he won't, they could file an action for ejectment to have the court remove him. ("Ejectment" is basically eviction for nontenants.) If it comes to that, your parents are advised to hire an attorney to help them, since ejectment is more complicated than the average eviction action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption