If we have had a verbal confrontation with our neighbors and are now terrified to go home, what can we do?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we have had a verbal confrontation with our neighbors and are now terrified to go home, what can we do?

My husband and I live in an apartment and our lease is not up for anout 5 or 6 months. We would like to move to a different apartment within the complex. How can I break a lease early without paying the fee for breaking the lease?

Asked on September 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The landlord, unfortunately, is not responsible for the actions of third parties. Since the lease is a contract, it may not be terminated early due to the fact that you had a confrontation with a neighbor--you can't affect the landlord's rights (i.e. his right to your rent) because of something another person has done. Only if the landlord somehow violates the lease, fails to provide habitable space, or does something to prevent your effective use of your space, would you be entitled to terminate the lease without penalty.

That does not mean that you shouldn't talk with the landlord and see if he'll voluntarily move you to another unit--just that  you can't force him to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption