What is the best way to file for divorce if my husband and I have only been married for a total of4 months?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the best way to file for divorce if my husband and I have only been married for a total of4 months?

Our marriage is not working out.

Asked on August 23, 2011 Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation and while I can not know what exactly the issues are, I can say that the first few months of marriage can be the most difficult no matter how long you have known eachother.  So take these steps wisely.  Washington state has what is known as a no-fault divorce law on its books.  That means that there is no need for any of the parties to a marriage to assign fault to one or the other - cruelty, adultery, etc., - in order to file for divorce.  As long as you both agree you will file for dissolution (the formal name) based upon the marriage being “irretrievably broken.”   If you are both in agreement one of you an file, the other can accept service and probably waive answering and then you just have to wait for the papers to be signed.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption