My husband and I have decided to separate and he wants me to leave the house, should I?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My husband and I have decided to separate and he wants me to leave the house, should I?

We have been married for 18 years now and I have never worked outside the house during this time. We have three children together. Now that we decided to separate, he wants me to leave the house saying that he is the one with a better financial situation to take care of the house’s debts. He keeps asking me how much do I need to live and honestly I don’t know what to say. He told me he would take my name out of our joint bank account, he asked me for the credit cards, then he asked me to give him any receipt of any purchase I make. This is very sad. Things are really out of hand in my house and it’s having a negative impact on our children. I just wish I could be free of this situation.

Asked on August 7, 2018 under Family Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

DO NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE.  DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING.  SEEK LEGAL HELP ASAP.  Do not rely on his statements and do not rely on the "advice" from his attorney.  Call the local bar association and ask about a referral service for legal consultation for divorces.  Call around and see what the charges are from the attorneys on the list.  There is no "his" money in all of this.  Money earned during the marriage are marital funds.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption