What can I do if my husband married me just to obtain citizenship?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my husband married me just to obtain citizenship?

My husband and I have been together for 5 years. We met online and married just a few months after knowing each other. My husband told me he was illegally in the US after we had been seeing each other for several months. I moved my whole life and left my family and job behind to move to go with him. He pushed to start his paperwork so we started that process and he got his green card the following year. The marriage has been bumpy and the reason I say that is because I have always felt I was used for his citizenship/green card. Now more than ever. My husband denies he has been untruthful during our marriage. I recently found that he had been on dating websites as well as on Craigslist dating site.

Asked on December 10, 2015 under Immigration Law, Washington


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

What is your question specifically?  Are you trying to see if you can report this marriage as fraudulent to USCIS?  what remedy are you seeking at this time?  You need to clarify what it is that you would like to do and then you can get a more direct answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption