If my husband and I have been separated for 15 months, can he be stopped from taking the car from me?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband and I have been separated for 15 months, can he be stopped from taking the car from me?

We got back together for 2 months. During that time, I wrecked our car. It was in both our names.The iInsurance check was in both our names. This car is in his name, with me as additional driver. Although I sent him $500 last month to apply on payment and insurance, he is coming to take the car in 2 weeks.

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is both your car and his. It makes no difference how it is titled. The question, however, is whether the money you are givng him is going towards the payment of the car. You may want to check with the finance company if you are on the loan. Otherwise, let him know that if he taking the car, then you want half the proceeds of the insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption