If my husband and I decided to get divorced and I started seeing some a month later, is that considered adultery?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband and I decided to get divorced and I started seeing some a month later, is that considered adultery?

I moved into guest room. Because of my actions does he now have the right to stop paying me alimony and go back on our agreement?

Asked on July 28, 2010 under Family Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that adultery as you call it but "marital misconduct" as Arizona refers to the situation, is not a factor in deciding distribution of martial assets OR in the award of alimony.  When you say that you have an "agreement" is it a written agreement or an oral agreement?  Written agreements are really the way to go.  Without a legal written confirmation that he has agreed to set terms they can be re-litigated in Court and the issues can be decided instead by a Judge.  I would seek legal help with all of this from an attorney in your area.  Given your present relationship situation it may be a good idea to take the next step toward severing all ties.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption