How do I go about getting a divorce and obtaining child support?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about getting a divorce and obtaining child support?

My husband out a year ago and abandoned me with 3 children. I was forced to move out of my house and had to move in with my parents.  I am working but not nearly enough to make ends meet. He is living in the city with another woman. I cannot afford to hire an attorney. I need a divorce and child support now.

Asked on March 2, 2011 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your troubles.  Take a deep breath.  Now, there are always these do it yourself websites and kits for divorces but honestly, I would be worried about your rights.  I would be worried that you would waive your right to certain assets that you would have a right to.  So in the mean time go down to what ever your local "Family Court" would be that allows you to get your child support at least while you can save for an attorney.  The Court will order support based upon a statutory support model using income and really only very little expenses allowed.  This will give you some peace of mind and some security for you and for your children.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption