If my house wasn’t properly repaired after a tornado so my insurer reopened the claim but they doubt the HVAC damage was tornado-related, can I sue them?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my house wasn’t properly repaired after a tornado so my insurer reopened the claim but they doubt the HVAC damage was tornado-related, can I sue them?

My house was damaged in q tornado. Now, 5 years later, I’ve learned that the contractor did not say a word at the time that the ductwork was damaged. As a result, the HVAC is messed up (there’s mold, etc.). I got the insurance company to reopen the case, however they don’t believe the HVAC contractor when he says the ductwork damage was caused by the tornado. I can’t afford to fix it and I’ll probably have to give the property back. Can I sue the insurance company?

Asked on November 16, 2016 under Insurance Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You will have several problems, any one of which could make it impossible for you to win.
1) First and foremost, the statute of limitations, or time within which you must start or file a lawsuit in your state for a matter like this (one involving a written agreement, like an insurance policy) is only 5 years. If this is now "5 years later," then depending on the exact time frame, it may now be too late to sue; once the statutory period has expired, you can no longer bring a lawsuit
2) Second, to win, you'd have to prove in court by a "preponderance of the evidence" that the damage was caused by the tornado and that they should have paid. After 5 years, you may not be able to, even with the contractor's help, provide sufficient evidence to prove that (i.e. may not be able to provide sufficient documentary evidence or credible testimony, given the passage of time, so as to convince the court).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption