If my house burnt down as a result of my neighbor’s house also burning down, what do I do since I have no insurance but she does?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my house burnt down as a result of my neighbor’s house also burning down, what do I do since I have no insurance but she does?

Asked on September 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

IF you can show that the fire was caused by your neighbor's negligence, or unreasonable carelessness (such as smoking in bed; leaving a pan full of oil unattended on the stove; DYI wiring/electrical work which was dangerous; etc.), then you could potentially sue the homeowner for your loss. However, if there was no fault, then the homeowner is not liable, or responsible--a person is only liable for damage which she causes through a wrongful act, such as being negligent or acting intentionally in a wrongful fashion (for example: deliberately burning her home down for insurance fraud).

You cannot claim against her insurance; her insurance covers her, not you. The only way you can seek compensation is by suing her and winning, which means proving her fault in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption