my homeowners insurance company is not offering enough compensation for repairs

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

my homeowners insurance company is not offering enough compensation for repairs

what can be done to receive adequate payment for repairs covered by my
homeowners insurance policy?

Asked on February 9, 2018 under Insurance Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There are no good options, since your only option would be to sue the insurer and, in the course of that lawsuit, prove they are violating their contractual obligations to you (an insurance policy is a contract) by not paying what reasonable and reliable estimates show is the cost to repair. 
Unfortunately, 1) you have to pay your own costs of lawsuit, including for an attorney if you want one (otherwise, you'd have to be your own lawyer, or "pro se"); 2) if the insurance company (not the agent; the insurer itself) is not located in your county, you'd most likely not be able to use small claims court but would instead have to file the case in "regular" county court, increasing the cost, complexity, and how much time is invovled. It may not be worth taking legal action for $1,000.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption