My home has water damage to some bricks on a party wall , Am I repsonsible for half the cost of repairs?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My home has water damage to some bricks on a party wall , Am I repsonsible for half the cost of repairs?

The home is a rental that is next to me. I own my home should insurance cover this cost?

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Delaware


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It depends.  What caused the water damage? Act of god? You, the other side?

This is what happens -- your home insurance may or may not cover it depending on the above.  You need to make the claim and see what happens.  Have you considered talking to the owner of the other property to discuss sharing costs if your home owners' insurance doesn't cover? Do you have a deductible? Does the other home owner have insurance, as well?

The above are questions that may be asked by your home owner's insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption