What are my rights if my HOA has obtained a judgement for past due fees?

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my HOA has obtained a judgement for past due fees?

The judgement is for $4,500. Now they are saying that I owe them another $1,000. Can they keep adding new fees on to the amount stated in the initial judgement or would they need to obtain a secondary judgement in order to collect these additional fees by means of wage attachment?

Asked on February 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Possibly the extra $1,000 is accrued interest and/or allowable costs or attorneys fees on the $4,500 judgment. As a judgment debtor you really do not have a lot of rights when it comes to collection of a judgment owed. I suggest that you try and enter into a monthly installment payment program with the HOA where it does not seek to garnish your wages or levy on your bank accounts so long as you are current on the installments.

The HOA will not need a secondary judgment to collect on the additional $1,000 in fees. It gets tacked onto the $4,500 amount.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption