What can I do if my health insurance company is still not paying my medical bills that I incurred a year ago?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my health insurance company is still not paying my medical bills that I incurred a year ago?

I have spoken to them twice every week for the last 9 months and have sent them the bills over and over. I have spoken to 3 different supervisors to no avail.

Asked on January 13, 2015 under Insurance Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you believe they are obligated (under the terms of your coverage) to pay these bills but they will not, your option to try to force them to pay is to sue them for breach of contract: an insurance policy is a contract, and if they are not honoring their obligations under the terms of the contract, they are in breach of it. Depending on how much is at stake, it may be better to sue them pro se (acting as your own attorney) or, for larger amounts, to hire a lawyer. A lawsuit is the only way to force someone to pay when they legally should, but will not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption