What are my options if a hardware ithat was placed in my lower back has broken?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options if a hardware ithat was placed in my lower back has broken?

One of the pins fell out of one of the rods. I have been having a lot of pain in lower right side. Do I have a claim? What advice can you give me? Should I talk to a lawyer?

Asked on March 18, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the device broke because--

1) it was defectively designed or manufactured;

2) the surgeon and medical team damaged it in placing it, or placed it improperly;

3) it was the wrong device and should not have been used on you for your problem or condition

--then you very well may have a possibly significant medical claim against the medical team and/or device manufacturer; you could potentially recover your medical costs (e.g. to remove it and replace it with the proper hardware), lost wages, pain and suffering (for reduction in quality of life and/or disability), and similar damages.

On the other hand, if there was nothing wrong with the hardware of the medical treatment and it broke, for example, because you fell, or were in a car accident, or something/someone hit you in the back, then you would most likely not have a claim.

The best way to evaluate whether you have a claim, what it might be worth, how strong it is, and what it might cost to pursue it, would be to consult with an experienced personal injury or malpractice attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption