If my great-grandparents set up a savings account for me in my name when I was little, how do I find out about it now?

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my great-grandparents set up a savings account for me in my name when I was little, how do I find out about it now?

They gave me saving bonds every year for my birthday. The only person who had access to it after they passed away was my grandmother. Now that I am old enough to have access to the savings account, my grandma will not tell me where it is located and I am starting to wonder if she cleaned out my account. My savings bonds were In my name so she couldn’t have cashed them, but refuses to give them to me or even acknowledge they exist. Can I take legal action to get my money? I don’t have proof other than my parents. They are willing to be a witness.

Asked on December 4, 2014 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Start with your state's treasurer's office and look to see if it has an abandoned property division. If the state in which they lived is where they set up the bonds, then it may have escheated to the state. Check with that agency first. Then, if that fails, try to do some research as to what possible savings bonds they could have been (ask your parents) and then try to follow the chain by research. Most of this will be free to do but may be a bit time consuming.  If all else fails, you need to discuss whether action against your grandmother may be appropriate.  Perhaps your parents can intervene and attempt to locate for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption