What to do if my grandson was 15 and was taken to the police station and interviewed by a detective in a room without his mother?

UPDATED: May 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my grandson was 15 and was taken to the police station and interviewed by a detective in a room without his mother?

My grandson was accussed of doing something he did not do. He is 15 and a detective took him to the police station to interview him. The detective would not let his mother in room with him.

Asked on May 21, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The officer is not obligated to have the parent sit in on the particular interrogation, however the officer should have advised your son on his right to have an Attorney present, and if your son had chosen to contact an attorney, then the questioning should have been stopped. Although the mother is technically the legal guardian of the minor, for criminal investigative purposes and Miranda Rights purposes, the minor is not required to have a guardian present, but he may request an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption